The Student News Site of Bishop Feehan High School

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

‘Rock Swim Takes on Swim Across America

Learn how these Feehan students on the Swim and Dive Team helped raise money for cancer patients.
%E2%80%98Rock+Swim+Team+after+they+finished+their+wade+at+Swim+Across+America.+
Ellen Sullivan
‘Rock Swim Team after they finished their wade at Swim Across America.

The BFHS Swim and Dive Team is always making waves in the pool, but on Saturday, September 9 they made some even bigger waves by taking on Swim Across America. The team set out to raise money for cancer research and swim one mile at Roger Wheeler State Beach in Narragansett, RI, and, though the weather wasn’t on their side, they didn’t let any clouds stop them from making a difference.

Swim Across America is a national organization with open-water and pool swims all across the country. Each swim raises money for cancer research, and the organization has raised well over $100 million dollars since its founding in 1987. The Narragansett swim is one of the biggest in the whole organization, setting out to raise $275,000 this year alone.

The ‘Rock Swim Team raised over $7,500 through their 15 swimmers and volunteers. They arrived at the beach early in the morning to get their caps and temporary tattoos, as well as to visit some of the informational booths set up for the swim. They learned about different types of cancer and related research, like that of which their money was going towards at Women and Infants Hospital Rhode Island.

Avary Serpa ‘25 (left) and Norah Wells ‘25 getting pumped up to enter the water on September 9th.
(Ellen Sullivan )

They then listened to speeches from members of the organization, doctors, researchers, cancer survivors, and Olympian Elizabeth Beisel, one of Swim Across America’s biggest supporters. Sadly, the weather was not cooperating with the large crowd in Rhode Island. A heavy fog made it too dangerous for the swim to take place safely, so there was a last-minute change of plans. It was decided that each swimmer would wade in the water from jetty to jetty, instead of completing their mile swim.

Despite some disappointment for the event not going as planned, the enthusiasm remained high, with loud cheers for each and every participant that crossed the finish line, and a passionate energy as everyone remembered the reason they were in the water in the first place. Senior team member Katie Lancaster (‘24) described the atmosphere as “great, even though we couldn’t swim, everyone was happy to be there for such a great cause.” And everyone truly was just happy to be there, show support, and get in the water for all those affected by cancer.