The Student News Site of Bishop Feehan High School

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

Sports Spotlight: Fencing

The+Epee+team+after+their+win+this+past+Wednesday%2C+January+24th%2C+against+Dana+Hall+and+St.+John%E2%80%99s.+
Instagram: Feehan.Fencing
The Epee team after their win this past Wednesday, January 24th, against Dana Hall and St. John’s.

The Fencing team is one of many successful sports teams at Feehan and has had great success in the past and even more in its future. Fencing may not be a widely known sport but it is one of the many options that is available to Feehan students. Fencing consists of three weapons, foil, sabre and épée, and each has its own set of rules to where the opponents are allowed to strike. 

Receptive to a wide amount of success, there are many Feehan fencing alumni who continue to pursue the sport in college and beyond. One of these alumni, Feehan’s own Mrs. Jacovino ‘12, now coach of the Feehan team, has stated that

Fencing transformed me into the person I am today. I learned how to be a leader, met my husband and my children’s godmothers while fencing Div 1 at Sacred Heart, and my husband and I now own a fencing club in Rhode Island. I can’t even imagine what my life would be like if I had never gone out for the team my freshman year at Feehan. I love coaching because my life would not be what it is today without fencing, so it is such a joy to teach this sport that has given me everything to others.

— Mrs. Jacovino ‘12 - Coach

When ask as to why she joined the team, Mrs. Jacovino replied

So I first got into fencing my freshman year at Feehan, after I heard the announcement advertising the team meeting for anyone interested in trying out. I grew up watching Star Wars and having epic lightsaber battles with my dad and sister, and my favorite movie EVER is The Princess Bride, which has one of the most iconic sword fighting scenes in movie history. So I figured who doesn’t want to learn how to sword fight?

— Mrs. Jacovino ‘12 - Coach

This year’s leadership includes two captains and two assistant captains. Fiona Soliday ‘24 (Foil) and Andrew DeGuzman ‘24 (Sabre) are this year’s male and female captains. While Annalise Karamas ‘24 (Sabre) and Nicholas Ciuica ‘24 (Epee) are the team’s assistant captains.

When asked about why she began fencing, team captain Fiona Soliday ‘24 (Foil) stated that

I’ve been fencing since the sixth grade, both my brother and sister started fencing and I wanted to see what it was about.

— Fiona Soliday ‘24 - Captain - Foil

Men’s captain Andrew DeGuzman ‘24 (Sabre) stated that

I chose fencing because it isn’t offered in many schools, and I thought it would be a unique opportunity to push myself, and maybe even excel.

— Andrew DeGuzman ‘24 - Captain - Sabre

Women’s assistant captain Annalise Karamas ‘24 (Sabre) stated that her passion for fencing started because

it wasn’t something that I had seen before at other schools and I thought it would look really unique and interesting on my resume.

— Annalise Karamas ‘24 - Assistant Captain - Sabre

Assistant captain Nick Ciuica (Epee), when questioned as to why he joined the fencing team, stated that

it seemed really interesting and I wanted a sport for the winter.

— Nick Ciuica ‘24 - Assistant Captain - Epee

Matthew Christenbury ‘24 (Sabre) said that fencing captivated him immediately:

I was at the open house in eighth grade and saw the fencing demonstration and that’s when I became interested.

— Matthew Christenbury ‘24 - Squad Leader - Sabre

Senior fencer Lilyana Crifo ‘24 (Sabre) said she started fencing because

One of my friends said that she was going to do it and it sounded really cool and interesting, it was something I had never seen before and I just thought it would be something really fun to try out- and it was”

— Lilyana Crifo ‘24 - Squad Leader - Sabre

When asked why she started fencing, Avery Laramee ‘25 (épée) enthusiastically stated that

I started fencing because obviously the whole ‘sword fighting is cool’ aspect, but it honestly drew me in because it seemed like a really welcoming group of people and such [a] positive environment to be a part of.

— Avery Laramee ‘25 - Epee

When asked about why she joined the fencing team Ananyaa Sunil ‘26 (Foil) stated that

I picked fencing because of the community. Everyone on the team is friends and supports each other, so I never feel like I can’t talk to anyone.

— Ananyaa Sunil ‘26 - Foil

When it comes to the Feehan fencing community at large, coach Jacovino commented on the persistence of its members:

On Wednesday [January 24th], we had our first meet of the season, and a freshman girl who has never fenced before November ended up fencing a bout against the reigning state champions. She was so nervous, and I stood at the end of the strip where she could see me and coached her through the bout. She ended up winning her bout, ran off the strip straight to me and gave me a gigantic hug. Then she said, “joining the fencing team is the best decision I have made in my life.” I cannot think of a better way to explain why I coach.

— Mrs. Jacovino - Coach

Even though fencing season has started and tryouts are over, there is always an opportunity to join next year. Usually no experience is required to try out for the team and all interested participants are encouraged to try out. If you are at all interested in being a part of the team for the 2024-25 winter season, please email Mrs. Jacovino  ([email protected]) with any questions, concerns or if you’d like to get to know the sport a little more. You can also follow the team and their wins on instagram @feehan.fencing and you can join them this weekend at their first at home tournament on Saturday starting at 9 am. 

Thank you to everyone who commented!