The Student News Site of Bishop Feehan High School

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

Holiday Music: Why We Love and Hate It

Grace Muliero

Do you like listening to holiday music? Most people can agree that although repetitive, holiday music, especially Christmas songs, holds a special place in our hearts every year. However, despite this sense of tradition, some people are glad to be able to listen to regular music on December 26th. Why do we have this love-hate relationship with holiday music?

Christmas songs can evoke specific emotions in us that encourage how we feel about holiday music. For example, many people favor Christmas songs because it creates nostalgia. When we hear Christmas music, we are reminded of particular events from the past or a specific, earlier period in our lives. Holiday music doesn’t just seem like it improves our mood, it actually does: Christmas music has a neurological effect in our brain that makes us happier. As we listen in on our favorite Christmas tunes, our brain’s pleasure circuit releases dopamine and serotonin which gives us positive emotions and helps stimulate this part of our brain. Positive memories can make us long for the past, thanks to the remembrance brought by Christmas music. Not only can Christmas music bring about joyful memories, but it can also decrease stress levels and reduce pain. Studies have shown that an individual’s heart rate and blood pressure can be decreased while listening to Christmas music. Similarly, as holiday songs help relieve stress, it allows your mind to focus on the music which can even help relieve muscle tension in your body. With all of these reasons, who wouldn’t love Christmas music?
Remembering fond memories, however, is not always enough to listen to Christmas music throughout the entire holiday season. Christmas music is often overplayed shamelessly. During the months of November and December, sometimes even October, escaping Christmas music is a difficult task: it’s played on the radio, in grocery stores, and even at some retail workplaces. Even if we initially like Christmas songs, they can become tiring fast because of the amount of times and overall frequency we hear them. Furthermore, studies have shown that songs that are continually stuck in our songs can create a negative effect on how we view them. For example, songs that we are unable to get out of our heads serve as “invaders” that we have no control over, which can make listening to repetitive Christmas songs a colossal headache.

Whether you love (or hate) listening to Christmas music during the holiday season, it can no doubt bring people together. Many Christmas songs not only express happiness and joy, but also family, love, and community. These universal themes can be applied to any situation, making holiday songs a perfect way to spread happiness and elevated feelings. Because Christmas music can help us to remember fond nostalgic memories, we can feel a sense of comfort and warmth while listening in on our favorites. Without a doubt, the holiday season would not be the same without our Christmas music.

This poll has ended.

Do you like holiday music?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.