The Student News Site of Bishop Feehan High School

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

Friendsgiving: a New Tradition

Friendsgiving is a modern and informal celebration of Thanksgiving with friends, often held in addition to or instead of traditional family gatherings. This contemporary twist on the classic holiday brings together a chosen family of friends to share a festive meal, express gratitude, and create lasting memories.
The concept of Friendsgiving has gained popularity in recent years, reflecting the changing dynamics of social relationships and the increasing diversity of people’s social circles. This celebration typically takes place in the days leading up to or following Thanksgiving Day, providing an opportunity for friends to come together, especially for those who may be unable to spend the holiday with their families.
One of the appealing aspects of Friendsgiving is its flexibility. Unlike traditional Thanksgiving gatherings, Friendsgiving often has a more laid-back atmosphere. Friends can choose the date, time, and location that suits everyone’s schedules, making it easier to accommodate various commitments. The menu can also deviate from the traditional Thanksgiving fare, allowing for creativity and diversity in the dishes served.

Potluck-style meals are common at Friendsgiving celebrations, with each attendee contributing a dish to share. This not only eases the burden on the host but also adds an element of surprise to the meal, as friends showcase their culinary skills and share their favorite recipes. The variety of dishes often reflects the diverse backgrounds and tastes of the attendees, contributing to a rich and unique experience.

The spirit of gratitude is a central theme of Friendsgiving, with friends taking the time to express appreciation for one another and the shared experiences that have strengthened their bonds. It’s a time for reflection and acknowledgment of the important role that friends play in each other’s lives.

In addition to the food, friends might play board games, engage in friendly competitions, or simply enjoy each other’s company. The informal and inclusive nature of Friendsgiving allows everyone to participate and contribute to the festive atmosphere.

Friendsgiving is a testament to the evolving nature of traditions and the importance of chosen family. It provides an opportunity for friends to create their own meaningful rituals, fostering a sense of belonging and tradition. As people continue to navigate the complexities of modern life, Friendsgiving serves as a heartwarming reminder that gratitude and celebration can extend beyond the confines of traditional family structures. 🦃