The Student News Site of Bishop Feehan High School

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

The Rock Report

Stanley Water Bottles: Pros and Cons

Find out more about the water bottle craze that has taken over Feehan
Annalise Karamas
A group of student’s Stanley Water bottles

With Hydroflasks considered a fashion trend of the past, a new competitor is on the rise. 

Stanley’s are.. huge. The most popular water bottle model, The Quencher H2.0, stands at a whopping 40 OZ. But what makes these huge hydration warriors worth the average $40 price tag? 

Stanley quotes on their website:

This travel tumbler is just what you need for all-day hydration. Take it with you to a high-intensity workout or on an extra-long commute to keep your drink cold for hours. The lid features a rotating cover with three positions: a straw opening, a wide mouth for chugging, and a full-cover top to prevent spills. The larger size even fits comfortably in your vehicle’s cup holder and comes with a rugged handle for carrying.”

I set out to test these large claims with the ultimate test drive: a whole day of walking to Feehan classes as a senior.

Here are some of the pros and cons I collected during my research:

Pros:

• DOES keep your water cool for a WHILE. I filled up my water bottle at the beginning of the day with some cold water and ice cubes, and by the end of the school day, the water was still crisp and cool. 
    • Can carry enough water to keep even the thirstiest satisfied. A huge benefit of this monster of a container is that you will rarely run out of water. Saving you time from visiting the water fountain during the passing periods.
    • It comes in a whole bunch of colors, and after a significant upcharge you can customize the bottle with an engraving, or add your own stickers from home for a cheaper decorative alternative. 
  • BPA free
  • Dishwasher safe (if you can fit it in your dishwasher).
  • Can hold hot drinks if you do not consume them with the plastic straw provided.

And now the cons:

• Constantly leaking from the top. Though the straw feature is convenient, I hope to see Stanley design some simple open and close lids to have some alternative to avoid this problem. 
  • LOUD. Dropping this bad boy can easily be heard by anyone in a 50 mile radius from you. The hollow metal center echos for minutes, so hold on tight.
  • Scratches and dents easily. With the sleek design of the bottle, the bottle easily dents or scratches when The Quencher H2.0 hits the ground.
  • Pricey. The base price of the most popular model sits at a whopping $40, and custom engraving or designs can raise that price from 15-30 dollars. 
  • Doesn’t hold up to the two hour ice cube statement made on the website. I found myself losing ice cubes about every 45 minutes. Which, in retrospect, is a long time. But if you are craving that 2 hour guarantee you may not find it. 
  • Has a tough metal taste. I found myself not enjoying the flavor of the water due to the cool metal taste was too overpowering. 

I ask some students for their opinions on The Quencher H2.0:

“Pros it fits really well in your car, it’s aesthetically pleasing. But it doesn’t keep the water cold and kind of unrealistic.” 

• Fiona Solida (‘24)

“They’re annoyingly loud and spill a lot.”

• Kelsey Garrido (‘24)

Whether you’re a fan of the Stanley water bottles, or hate the sound of them, it’s clear these canisters have had a big impact on the school’s culture recently. 

Works Cited:

“Stanley Drinkware & Gear: Bottles, Tumblers, Growlers & More.” Stanley 1913, www.stanley1913.com/. Accessed 30 Oct. 2023.