The Spring Sports Season

Ronnie Medeiros

It’s hard to believe that we are almost three months into the new year, but with that comes the exciting time of Spring Sports. Registration to play a spring sport opened in January. Opening day, which is the first day of tryouts, is held on March 21st. 

Leading boys baseball this season, we have head coach Erik Everton and senior captains Andrew Cook and Matthew Linehan. Both boys have already committed to playing baseball at the college level, Cook to Assumption University and Linehan to Westfield State. We also have Armand Brunelle coaching our Junior Varsity team, as well as Feehan history teacher Mr. Kevin Winter coaching the freshman team. The boys will be starting off the season with a scrimmage against LaSalle Academy in Providence on Sunday March 27th at 1:00pm. The first official game will be against East Bridgewater on Monday April 4th at 3:30pm on Beecher Field at Bishop Feehan.

Next, we have girls softball coach Bill Milot returning for another year of coaching at Bishop Feehan High School. We also have Lee Duby coaching the JV team and Spanish teacher Lindsey Lindsay coaching our freshmen. In addition, Coach Peter Hanson and history teacher Jennifer Stringfellow will be helping out as assistant coaches. The girls will be under the outstanding leadership of five senior captains: Abigail Brooks, University of Connecticut Softball commit Haley Coupal, basketball captain McKenzie Faherty, Rutgers University Softball commit Ava Maloof and Ithaca College Softball commit Haley Petrucci. They will be making their debut at the KP Jamboree on Saturday March 26th at the Plainville Athletic League Complex. The first official game will be against Cardinal Spellman on Wednesday, April 6th at 3:45pm on Walsh Field at Bishop Feehan. Last season, our girls had a record of 10-1, and we are looking forward to watching their hard work pay off again this season. 

Boys lacrosse is stepping up to Division 1 this season. Head coach Tom Sheerin is returning for another season and is joined by former players as the rest of his coaching staff. His assistant coaches include all Feehan Alums: Stephen Patch, Jack Pettine (who is also an assistant coach for the Feehan Swim and Dive Team) and Feehan history teacher Michael Rainha. All played lacrosse under Sheerin during their time at Feehan. They are joined by senior captains Eagan Cola, John O’Reilly, and Craig Scharland. Unfortunately, Scharland will miss the first few weeks of the season due to an injury he suffered during basketball season. Leading the JV team we have Jay Mota. Mota also played for Sheerin during his time in the Youth Lacrosse League. The season will begin with a scrimmage against Oliver Ames at McGrath Stadium on Monday, March 28th at 3:30pm. The first official game will be away on Wednesday, April 6th against Cardinal Spellman also at 3:30pm.

Girls lacrosse is looking at yet another successful season with head coach Michael Vitelli. Our strength and conditioning coach will be working extra hard both in the weightroom and on the field. Coach Vitelli will have the help of captains Olivia Brennan, Betsy Norko, and Kristy Norko. Both Norkos have committed to Bentley University to play lacrosse at the college level. We also have coach Alexis Kobey who will be leading our Junior Varsity team to victory. Girls lacrosse will have their first game on Tuesday, April 5th at 3:30pm against Mansfield at McGrath Stadium.

Next up, we have boys tennis with head coach Brian Dalrymple. This will be Dalrymple’s fourth year coaching the Shamrocks. The boys will also have the guidance of senior captains Logan Gallagher and Anthony Kurtzer. The first match will be on Monday, April 4th versus St. Mary’s School away in Lynn at 4:00pm.

Girls tennis was unstoppable last year with their 9-1 record, and we are looking forward to watching them in what is presumed to be yet another accomplishing season. Coach Jennifer Jackson Bartlett is returning for yet another season as head coach. Coach JJ, former Shamrock herself, will have the help of senior captains Kathryn Cabral and Emily Gallucci in leading this team to triumph. The first tennis match of the season for the ladies will be on Monday, April 4th at 4:00pm against St. Joseph’s Prep on the Bishop Feehan Tennis Courts.

Both boys’ and girls’ track are looking to having successful seasons with history teacher and health and fitness chair Robert L’Homme leading the boys and science teacher Stephen Smith leading the girls. These coaches will be joined by history teachers Coleen Curry, Martin O’Brion and Brendan Sullivan, as well as art teacher Trenna Schmidt. The boys will have the guidance of captains Samuel DeMoura and Patrick Healey, while the girls will have that of Anna Boyd, Olivia Kelly, and Maeve Parrish. The first track meet for both teams will be on Thursday, April 7th against Archbishop Williams, Cathedral High School, and Cristo Rey Boston at 3:30pm at McGrath Stadium.